Video Link: http://vimeo.com/2855779
Garlic Mustard, as an invasive species in North America, is pure dark nasty evil.
Let me tell you why it is so evil:
- It chokes out nearly ALL native species— including baby trees— before they can even get a start in the spring.
- It bolts quickly and each plant pratically explodes with thousands of seeds.
- The seeds stay viable in the soil for at least 5 years.
- If you mow, cut, weed-wack, or otherwise harm the plant that does not remove the entire root, the little shit comes right back, but shorter this time, so that it’s even harder to get, and nearly impossible to mow.
- It further changes the soil chemically and biologically in such a way that hinders or kills the root systems of many native species. (nerdtalk: it actually kills the mycelium which are vital to healthy symbiotic root systems of most of our plants and trees)
- Nothing native eats garlic mustard. Even deer don’t eat it. This actually makes things worse, because by choking out native species, the garlic mustard reduces the natural browse that deer and other animals depend on, and actually further compounds over-browsing by deer and other animals.
- In addition to it killing our amazing native plants, studies have shown that at least one native animal species is getting wiped out by this stuff. The Virginia White Butterfly, which is an endangered species.
- You can’t safely even compost Garlic Mustard.
THIS IS THE BEST TIME TO PULL PLANTS THAT WILL GO TO SEED THIS YEAR. They are just popping out of the earth here in the Northeast. The plants that are growing the round leaves, right now, will seed this year. TELL THEM NO
Please help!! If you like to hike, pop a bag in your pocket and if you see just one or two plants, pull them by the root and put them in your bag. (please don’t trespass, and respect private landowners, though!)
If you see a LOT of it, make note of the location and contact your local land owners or forest department and ask if they are managing it. If not, it’s up to you— but if you put together a group pull you’re my hero. <3
If you have this nonsense growing on your property, make a game plan and ruin it’s day!! This stuff is genuinely wrecking our beautiful native forests!!
Dining Etiquette Around The World, an infographic by Restaurant Choice
via Feel Design
are these relevant or clichés to you?
this is very interesting and fascinating. i know from personal experience as a korean also not to stick my chopsticks upright in rice because it resembles incense at a funeral and is considered to be an omen/bad luck
why did i not see this post a few weeks ago, i could’ve used it in my assignment :(
“It’s Been An Adventure, Mr. Fredricksen.”
“Adventure Is Out There!”
Someone asked me to post these two companion pieces together so it was easier to reblog them.
THIS WAS NOT OKAY
HE’S STILL WEARING THE ELLIE BADGE
I was just going to scroll past this when I REALISED what it was
Bad news. A major vulnerability, known as “Heartbleed,” has been disclosed for the technology that powers encryption across the majority of the internet. That includes Tumblr.
We have no evidence of any breach and, like most networks, our team took immediate action to fix the issue.
Waldo is 25 and makes music with his band mates Blake Harrison and Mark Sloan. Because concerts would cause stress to Waldo, they do not tour. They have released three albums: Beak of Putrefaction, Bird Seeds of Vengeance, and The Thing that Should Not Beak. They are based in Baltimore and are signed with Reptilian Records, but the label is currently on hiatus. (Source) (Source) (Listen to Bird Seeds of Vengeance)